Friday, May 26, 2006

 

Why CD’s

I walked into my family room the other night and there was a copy of the book Divinci Code sitting on the coffee table. I have found that over the years I have a threshold for hype, and once I have determined that there is too much hype I immediately lose interest. Divinci Code has crossed the hype line. I have not read the book and will not go to see the movie. The book does not belong to anyone in my house, but is in the process of being read by at least the second person in the house. That got me thinking about copyright stuff, and now I wonder why we at least feel guilty about downloading somebody’s music but to lend out a book gives us no problem. We have libraries full of books to be lent and enjoyed by more than one person; I know that I should not make copies of any book and redistribute it to anyone, but I don’t mind lending it to somebody else to enjoy or learn from. So now I wonder about the whole music argument, will the artistic industry collapse if we load our Ipod’s with music from someone else’s library of music? Have I missed a step in this process? Would music artist’s stop being artist’s faster than author’s would stop “authoring” So now I’m a little stuck, is this an ethical question or a financial one? If I ever did anything creative enough for people to enjoy and they would be willing to spend money on, maybe the answer to this question would come to me easier.


Comments:
i have also thought about this. i have a book called "money" by martin amis and it says in the copyright part: "except in the united states of america, this book is subject to the condition that it shall not, by way of trade or otherwise, be lent, re-sold, hired out, or otherwise circulated without the publisher's prior consent" so in canada, i should call and ask the publisher before i lend this book to you.
 
doug, kurtis told me that you told him to hit me in the balls for you.

well, i told jeremy to hit you in the balls for me. so watch out.
 
That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?