Wednesday, May 24, 2006

 

It Feels Like Cowboy Season
For the past twelve or maybe thirteen years I have been able to go down to the Elford Ranch and spend a few weeks doing cowboy things. Sorting pairs, loading trucks, losing count of how many cows are in that bunch, brandings, spending time with people who are just such hard working good people! It has become a part of my year that I really look forward too. I have learned a lot of valuable lessons over the years. I know that I can go at least 12 hours without a drink of water, and now I know where the hose is in the pump house. I have learned how to keep my butt from slapping into the saddle so that by the end of the day I can still sit down at the supper table. I have learned that the peace and quiet of sitting in your saddle and following cows all day gives you a chance to organize your thoughts. I have seen it rain so hard you can't see fifty feet, and the next day be overwhelmed by the beauty of the view as I look across miles of grass that has looked the same for hundreds of years. I know why cowboys wear big hats, long sleeve shirts, and high boots with big heals, (and that is why they don’t like to walk anywhere). I love cowboy season!


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?